Wednesday, January 22, 2014

parents

Sometimes parents are hard to deal with. Sometimes they even make a person uncomfortable. At the second center I worked at there was a dad who made the staff uncomfortable. He would rub up against the staff members as he walked by them, touch them inappropriately, walked around with his chest out like he was 'the man,' etc. One day he had come in to pick his child up. His child had a fever and I had called to let the parents know and ask them to come pick her up. Since dad worked closest to the center he came to pick her up. As I was telling him about her morning he kept advancing on me. I would step back and he would move forward. I finally asked him to please stay where he was because he was making me uncomfortable. He "apologized" and tried to blow it off.

Right after this my co-teacher who was outside with her primary children while I was inside doing the activity for the day opened the door and asked if we were ready for them to come in. The children were getting cold. I told her to go ahead and come inside and looked at her like 'please hurry.' Once the dad had left she asked me what happened and I told her. I then called up front and asked the director to come back to the room and told her. She was very exasperated and said, "I'm getting tired of this guy." By now she had had months of us complaining about him. Two or three days later when I walked into work he was in the office with the director. Later she came in and informed all of us that she had just given the family a two week notice to find new child care. The child was actually only there for about another week before she was gone.

FYI to parents- sometimes your behavior makes the staff really uncomfortable. By the way the staff are sometimes married and even if they aren't you are. We've met the wife!!

No comments:

Post a Comment